Patrick Geddes was a pioneering force in Edinburgh’s Old Town in the late 1800s. The legacy of his improvement works and rural initiatives are still seen in places such as Riddle’s Court, Ramsay Garden and Wardrop’s Court. Frank Mears (1880-1953) worked with Geddes on the Civic survey of Edinburgh which led to the first ever town planning exhibition in 1910; becoming Geddes’ son-in-law in 1915.
This joint event between the Patrick Geddes Centre and the Museum of Edinburgh will examine some of the legacies of Geddes and Mears’ work in the Old Town. PGC Learning Officer Russell Clegg will lead a tour of the improvements and interventions Geddes made in the Lawnmarket.
Following lunch and a short walk to the Canongate, Nicolas Tyack (Museums and Galleries Edinburgh) will use architectural features and artefacts from the museum’s collection to illustrate how Mears’ transformed a former 16th century residence ito a home for the city’s civic heritage.
Lunch is included in the admission price.