About

A couple looking  up at the Scott MonumentThe monument was designed by George Meikle Kemp (1795 - 1844) who was inspired by the architecture of Melrose Abbey and Roslin Chapel. It is over 200 feet (61 metres) high, with 287 steps to four levels from which you can have spectacular views. The foundation stone was laid on August 15th 1840, Scott's birthday, and the inauguration ceremony was held six years later on the same date.

Look out for the 64 statues of characters from the books of Sir Walter Scott, the Edinburgh-born writer famous for his historical novels. Learn more of his story and how George Meikle Kemp designed this amazing Gothic structure - a prodigious building feat of its time. Some of the earliest photographs ever taken show the building of the monument in the 1840s.

The statue at the base of the monument is of  Scott, with his dog Maida, by sculptor Sir John Steell, who carved it from Italian Carrara marble.

More on the history of the monument