Queen Victoria

This pedestrian bronze statue of Queen Victoria has commemorative plaques round the plinth; it was built by the 'Leith Queen Victoria Statue Fund'.

The statue was unveiled by Lord Rosebery on the 12th October 1907, and custody was accepted by Bailie Smith on behalf of the Council.The site was given and the foundation stone paid for by the Leith Town Council out of the Common Good Fund.

 John S. Rhind (dates) was the sculptor and was also responsible for the bronze bas-relief panels. The bronze plaque on the south face reads:
"QUEEN VICTORIA 1837-1901 EMPRESS OF INDIA 1877-1901 ERECTED 1907".
A panel on the East side depicts a military scene, commemorates the part played by the Leith Volunteers (5th Battalion Royal Scots) in the Boer War (1900-1902).
"5th VOLUNTEER BATTALION THE ROYAL SCOTS SOUTH AFRICA 1900-1902.  A MEMORIAL TO PATRIOTISM AND LOYALTY "
and  "JOHN S. RHIND, Sc."
A further panel was added in 1913 to the West side, depicts
"QUEEN VICTORIA ENTERING LEITH  SEPT. 3 1842" " JOHN S. RHIND Sc. 1912."
 

Close map